Stainless steel is a steel alloy that must contain a minimum of 10.5% chromium and contains levels of nickel, molybdenum, and niobium.
Compared to regular steel, stainless steel does not easily corrode, stain, or oxidize/rust. Stainless steel is available from Continental Steel in an extensive range of forms, grades, finishes, gauges, widths, and lengths.
Many different industries rely on stainless steel for a wide range of applications including aerospace, automotive, manufacturing, oil and gas, and many more. If you cannot find the exact type of stainless steel you are looking for, please call or contact us.
About Stainless Steel Bars & Heavy Plates
Heavy steel plates or stainless steel bars are used throughout many demanding industries that range from architecture and construction to industrial equipment, food processing, oil and gas, and much more. Throughout these industries, large-diameter steel is chosen for its ability to perform reliably under harsh conditions.
At Continental Steel, we provide large-diameter metals for the world's most demanding applications, including aircraft-grade stainless steel for the military, stainless steel plates for oil drilling rigs, and many others. On this page, we will explain what stainless steel bars and heavy steel plates are and how our products are used.
Stainless Steel BarsThe term "large-diameter stainless steel bars" refers to bars that are up to 20 in. or 24 in. in diameter. At Continental Steel, we offer stainless steel bars in many grades, including 304/304L and 316/316L. All of these grades provide high strength, durability, and corrosion resistance, making them suitable for demanding environments or chemical exposure.
304/304L Grade Stainless Steel BarsThis grade of large-diameter stainless steel bars is composed of an austenitic stainless steel alloy containing 18% chromium and 8% nickel. They can be heat treated to improve their hardness or tensile strength, and they provide high ductility and excellent corrosion resistance. This grade of large-diameter stainless steel is commonly used in chemical processing, brewing, and food processing applications.
316/316L Grade Stainless Steel Bars
Commonly used in marine environments, medical equipment, and chemical processing, this grade of stainless steel is particularly resistant to corrosion in chloride-rich environments. They are easy to fabricate and feature a higher content of molybdenum which makes them more highly resistant to pitting and crevice corrosion.
Both of these grades can be produced using multiple methods, including hot rolling and cold drawing. Their large diameter makes them ideal for heavy-duty applications where strength and corrosion resistance are critical. At Continental Steel, we offer many grades of stainless steel, including:
- 17-4 PH
- 410/410 QDT
- Duplex 2205
- Duplex 2507
- Nitronic 50
- Nitronic 60
- Alloy 20 stainless steel
- 316/316L/316 PSQ
- 410 Ann
- 416 Ann
- 420 Ann
- 440C Ann
Applications of Large Diameter Stainless Steel BarsDue to their strength and durability, large-diameter stainless steel bars have a wide range of uses throughout numerous industries. The following are some of the most common applications in which our products are used.
- Manufacturing: Heavy machinery, equipment, and components production
- Construction: Reinforcing concrete structures, bridges, and buildings
- Chemical processing: Chemical tanks, pipelines, and valves that will be exposed to corrosive chemicals and high temperatures
- Marine: Shipbuilding, oil and gas extraction, offshore drilling
- Food processing: Conveyor belts, storage tanks, food processing equipment
Stainless Steel PlatesStainless steel plates can be made from numerous metal grades that each deliver unique properties. They are all high-strength, durable, and corrosion-resistant. Stainless steel plates from Continental Steel are used throughout harsh applications that demand a long-lasting solution, including chemical processing, food processing, construction, and many others.
304/304L Stainless Steel PlatesMade from an austenitic stainless steel alloy, these plates contain 18% chromium and 8% nickel. For this reason, they provide excellent corrosion resistance and high ductility. For heavy-duty applications, they are available up to 6 inches thick. They are commonly used in brewing, chemical processing, and food processing.
316/316L Stainless Steel PlatesAlso made from austenitic stainless steel alloy, but with a higher molybdenum content, this grade performs well in chloride-rich environments. These plates are frequently used in marine applications as well as chemical processing, and medical equipment.
2205 Stainless Steel PlatesGrade 2205 is a duplex stainless steel alloy containing austenitic and ferritic phases. It provides superior strength, toughness, and corrosion resistance, particularly in acidic environments. This grade of stainless steel plate is used in the pulp and paper industry, as well as chemical processing, oil and gas, and many others.
410 Stainless Steel Plates
Grade 410 stainless steel is a martensitic stainless steel alloy containing 11.5% chromium. This ensures its high strength, corrosion resistance, and hardness. It is commonly used in the oil and gas industry for pumps, valves, and drilling equipment production. We offer 410 stainless steel plates in thicknesses up to 4” for heavy-duty applications.
These are just a few examples of the many uses for thick stainless steel plates. Selecting the ideal grade for any given application will depend on factors such as the required level of corrosion resistance, desired mechanical properties, and environmental conditions. For assistance identifying the best stainless steel grade for your application, simply reach out to our knowledgeable team.
Industries ServedContinental Steel provides thick stainless steel plates and large-diameter bars for many industries. The following are some of the most common industry-specific end uses for our products.
- Construction and architecture: Thick stainless steel plates are used to construct buildings and other structures, especially in applications where structural integrity and corrosion resistance are essential. Specifically, these products form components that include columns, beams, and support structures.
- Chemical processing: Stainless steel plates are widely used throughout the chemical processing industry to create storage tanks, reactors, and pipelines capable of handling corrosive chemicals and high-temperature processes. Specifically, grades 316/316L and 2205 are commonly used.
- Oil and gas: This industry requires thick plates for offshore drilling rigs, subsea pipelines, and the construction of oil refining and processing equipment. Grades 410 and 2205 are commonly used throughout this industry.
- Marine and shipbuilding: Thick stainless steel plates and bars are essential in boat and ship construction where they form hulls, bulkheads, and other components that must withstand the harsh marine environment. Grades 316 and 2205 are common choices for these applications.
- Food and pharmaceutical processing: Since stainless steel is able to be sterilized repeatedly and easily cleaned, it is frequently used to construct food processing tanks, conveyors, and other machinery.
- Aerospace and aviation: Many aircraft components and structures require thick stainless steel's strength and ability to resist extreme temperatures.
- Energy: Stainless steel plates are used in heat exchangers, steam generators, nuclear reactor components, and other applications that demand high-temperature resistance.
- Mining and minerals processing: This industry features highly abrasive environments that demand durable equipment. Thick stainless steel bars and plates form mining hoppers, chutes, and processing machinery.
- Automotive and transportation: Everything from vehicle frames, exhaust systems, and many other automotive components require stainless steel's durability against mechanical stress.
- Infrastructure and bridges: Large-diameter bars and thick plates ensure safe bridges and tunnels.
- Defense and military: Military vehicles, naval vessels, and other types of defense equipment are created from heavy plates and large bars.
- Environmental and water treatment: This industry uses plates and bars to create water treatment tanks, piping, and water treatment equipment.
- Industrial machinery and equipment: Large stainless steel plates are used to manufacture heavy machinery and industrial equipment.
- Medical: Stainless steel plates create bioreactors, diagnostic devices, and surgical tools due to their biocompatibility and ease of sterilization.
Stainless Steel Bars & Heavy Plates by Continental SteelNo matter what your industry, Continental Steel has a heavy steel plate or stainless steel bar that meets your performance requirements. As a leading stainless steel bar supplier, we are ISO 9001:2015 and AS9120B:2016 certified and carry a comprehensive range of stainless steel grades to meet the needs of virtually any application. To learn more about our products, reach out to our team with any questions. You can also get your next project started by requesting a quote.
Stainless Steel Forms
- Hot Rolled
- Cold Rolled
- Special Finishes
- Ground & Polished
- Hot Rolled
- Cold Rolled
- Hollow Bar
- Structural Shapes