Subsea Applications of Nickel Alloys
It is critical for piping systems in subsea applications to maintain their reliability and integrity. When selecting the material for these systems, you need to optimize investment and operational costs, in a way that Life Cycle Costs (LCC) are minimized while providing acceptable safety and reliability.
When piping is used for critical applications such as firefighting, cooling of process equipment, and water injection to the oil well, maintaining integrity of the pipe for long-term performance is high on the list of priorities.
Challenges of Subsea Petrochemical Applications
In subsea applications, especially, these pipes need to provide reliable and high quality performance while water is injected to recover as much oil as possible. In these environments, saltwater will work to corrode common metals like carbon and stainless steel. The best way to protect these pipes is to use Monel®, Inconel®, or any similar nickel alloy.
The demand for nickel alloys in the oil and gas industry has increased lately, driven mainly due to corrosion resistance. Other factors that make nickel alloy attractive option are the temperature and pressure in which these pipes will operate.
General Considerations for Developing a Subsea Piping System
When designing a piping system, it is imperative to keep a few points in mind.
- Cost efficiency – The materials you choose need to not only perform well, but also be cost effective.
- Product life – The pipe will need to last, but also needs to provide dependable service over extended periods.
- Operating conditions – Subsea operations expose pipes to corrosion and abrasions. It is imperative to choose materials like Inconel® and Monel® that are proven to withstand corrosive environments.
- Weight reduction
- Inspection and corrosion monitoring possibilities – You need to make sure that whatever materials you chose can be verified to be working properly after installation.
- Special attention to any adverse effects the material selection could have on human health, the surrounding environment, and safety.
Subsea Applications with Continental Steel & Tube
As an industry-leading supplier of a wide variety of nickel alloys for marine applications, Continental Steel & Tube can provide you with solutions necessary for subsea processes. Our inventory includes a range of Inconel®, Monel®, and copper nickel, allowing us to help you design solutions for every consideration. Contact us today to learn how we can help you with all your subsea application needs.