Exploring the Versatile Applications of Nickel Alloy in Various Industries

Leave a Comment

Nickel alloys have many beneficial properties. They play a crucial role in multiple industries. As a member of the iron group, the material is ductile, hard, malleable, and easy to work with. It’s also a fairly good conductor of electricity and heat and can resist corrosion at high temperatures, making it a good choice for aerospace, electrical, and chemical processing applications.

Depending on the needs of a particular project, nickel alloys come in a variety of stock forms and shapes, including sheet, coil, & plate. At Continental Steel & Tube Company, we are a specialty supplier of all forms and grades of nickel. Whether you require nickel tube, pipe, sheet, bar, wire, plate, fittings, or more, we have the right solution for you.

Understanding the Grades of Nickel and Nickel Alloys

Nickel 200 and 201 are considered commercially pure nickel grades. This means that they contain at least 99% nickel, with the other 1% or less consisting of iron, copper, manganese, carbon, and other metals.

  • Nickel 200. This is the most commonly used of the commercially pure nickel alloy grades. Many industries use Nickel 200 and 201 alloys because of its superior thermal conductivity, corrosion resistance against caustic alkalis, and mechanical properties. Other favorable properties of Nickel 200 include ideal magnetostrictive properties and minimal electrical resistivity.
  • Nickel 201. Nickel 201 is similar to Nickel 200 but with a lower carbon content (0.02% max). This slight modification provides improved resistance to graphitization at elevated temperatures, making it suitable for applications where high-temperature and corrosion resistance are required.
  • Nickel Alloys. In addition to these two types of pure nickel, there are various types of nickel alloys, including:
  • Alloy 20
  • 155
  • 188
  • 255
  • Monel® 400
  • Inconel® 600
  • Inconel® 601
  • Inconel® 617
  • Inconel® 625
  • Inconel® 718
  • Incoloy® 800H/HT
  • Incoloy® 825
  • A286 / A-286
  • Hastelloy® C22 / C-22
  • Hastelloy® C276 / C-276
  • Hastelloy® X
  • Inconel® X-750
  • Invar® 36
  • Invar® 42
  • Haynes® 25 / L-605
  • Monel ® K-500
  • Rene® 41
  • Waspaloy®
  • Alloy 6B
  • Custom 455
  • Hastelloy® B3
  • Kovar

Applications of Nickel Plates, Sheets, and Coils in Different Industries

Numerous applications and industries rely on nickel plates and other forms of nickel alloy.

Aerospace Industry
Aerospace companies often use nickel alloys in engine parts because of their high level of heat resistance and ability to hold up in extreme environments. Nickel sheets are frequently used to produce airframes, spacecraft components, and jet engines due to their resistance to heat and corrosion.

Chemical Industry
Chemical processing equipment is often constructed using nickel plates, coils, and sheets for their chemical-resistant properties. Specific applications in this industry include pipes, reactors, and other chemical plant equipment.

Automotive Industry
Nickel plates are commonly used to produce various vehicle components to enhance their appearance and corrosion resistance. Automotive manufacturers also utilize nickel sheets for electric vehicle battery production due to their high energy density.

Electrical Industry
Nickel sheets and plates are frequently used in battery components and electronic connectors because of their good electrical conductivity. The material’s magnetic properties also make it a suitable option for magnetic storage devices such as hard drives.

Medical Industry
Nickel’s corrosion-resistant and biocompatible properties make it useful in fabricating surgical implants and equipment. Nickel-titanium alloys are particularly popular in dental wires, stents, and other medical devices.

Choose Continental Steel for Your Nickel Plates, Sheets, Tubes, Bars, Coils, and More

If you require high-quality nickel plates, sheets, tubes, bars, or coils for your application, Continental Steel offers a wide range of nickel alloys and products to meet your needs. With ideal properties such as improved versatility, increased corrosion resistance, toughness, heat resistance, and more, nickel alloys offer the ideal solution for a diverse range of industries and applications.

Contact us or request a quote today for more information about our extensive selection of nickel alloy products.

Get In Touch With Our Team

For Urgent Inquires Please Contact 855.954.5086

"*" indicates required fields

First Name*
Last Name*